Book - The World of Department Stores
Author - Jan Whitaker
Publisher - Vendome Press
Hardcover, 264 pages.
This book is absolutely stunning! It is extra large at 12.9 x 9.8 inches. It is packed with fascinating historical information concerning stores, malls, and shopping. This book will give you an incredible look at social studies and a fantastic education in marketing!
Some of what you'll see inside:
1. Photographs of historic ads and sale posters.
2. Majestic pictures of beautiful architecture. (Including a department store in Tokyo in the 1920's.)
3. A Painting of customers shopping in a Paris store in the 1800's.
4. Photograph of a Millinery salon in Mexico city in the 1920's.
5. Both Modern and Historic photographs giving you an awe-inspiring look at shopping for necessities and the more modern shopping for entertainment. You will be amazed at how marketing and creativity of the designers, and store owners, have created shopping to be a form of recreation.
6. On the inside sleeve of the cover, there are quotes by Oscar de la Renta, Leonard Lauder (from the Estee Lauder company) and Hubert de Givenchy. All of these gentleman have read this book and briefly shared their inspiring thoughts! What fun to read!
I have spent hours reading the text and looking at the pictures. I have shared it with guests in our home. It is an incredible resource.
Those who would most enjoy the book:
1. People who work in retail, or marketing of any kind.
2. Students who want to study this type of history. And also those who appreciate social studies and want to see how modern shopping and consumerism has changed us all.
The cost of the book is similar in price to a college textbook, and most certainly worth every penny.
* Disclosure - I received this book for review purposes. *